The mod_invite module provides the functionality for a user to create inivtation tokens (in the form of a landing page on the prosody web server, where a user can create an account).
However, this is a sub-par UX for the recipient of the invitation, as:
- there is not much information on what exactly that invitation is about
- there is no link to software the user can install
- after registration, the user needs to re-enter their credentials into the client
XEP-0401 provides a transition flow from an invitation link (https: or xmpp:) to a compatible client by means of the registration token.
Prosody should support the following, on top of mod_invite:
- generate and export xmpp:firstname.lastname@example.org?roster;preauth=TOKEN;ibr=y URIs
- allow IBR (regardless of the allow_registration value) if the passed token is valid
- auto-add he token "owner" to the newly registered account's roster
- implement server-side PARS (XEP-0379) if the invitee already had an account